New Zealanders love real estate and their smartphones so it’s easy to understand why texting is fast becoming the most effective communication tool in the real estate market. Compared to phone calls, voicemails and emails, text messaging is quick and direct, and can be done from anywhere.
Response times to texts are faster than traditional communication methods and, in real estate terms, this translates to better nurturing of leads, more efficiency in the buying and selling process and providing a long-term relationship-building opportunity.
Research undertaken in 2017 revealed that 90% of text messages get read within three minutes of them being sent.
Don’t get me wrong, texting is not a replacement for other forms of communicating with clients and can never substitute verbal conversation to connect with new clients. Using text messages to follow-up on property enquiries, emails, open homes, organise meetings or reminders is an unobtrusive way to engage with clients. Some people actually prefer texting over interacting directly with strangers.
Top Texting Tips:
- Keep your texts simple and to the point.
- Send texts that require a short reply and encourages back and forth communication.
- Texting a question works well. Most people won’t ignore a question and it gives you a chance to use their answers to establish next steps.
- Texts shouldn’t feel like a marketing brochure so be sure to add some of your personality: 25 Brassey Road is a character bungalow with a 2nd storey and beautiful garden! Might just be what you were after, want to see it?
- When texting a link to a property, be sure to add some conversation about it.
- Reply to texts promptly, people expect a quicker response than phone calls and emails.
- If you’ve already called and left a voicemail, send a quick text to nudge a response
- Know when it’s time to step back – if you’re not getting responses to your texts, don’t keep sending them.
Text messaging is a highly personal method of communication. With the right combination of tact and patience, you’ll be surprised at how much more engagement you’ll get from existing and new clients.